With San Diego Comic-Con just around the corner, this new drinking game may gain even more popularity.
In a press release:
UNLEASH YOUR INNER GEEK WITH SYFY’S NEW WEEKLY GAME SHOW, GEEKS WHO DRINK
HOSTED AND EXECUTIVE PRODUCED BY ZACHARY LEVI, SERIES PREMIERES JULY 16
NEW YORK – June 29, 2015 – Syfy invites techies, trekkies and pop culture junkies to play along with Geeks Who Drink, a new weekly game show hosted and executive produced by Zachary Levi, star of NBC’s Chuck and upcoming Heroes Reborn. Premiering Thursday, July 16 from 11-11:30PM ET/PT, the series kicks off the network’s new weekly, 11PM late-night programming hour, which also includes the new original series, Reactor.
Geeks Who Drink is based on the pub trivia contest of the same name, which has become a nationwide phenomenon with people participating at bars all across the country. The 12-episode, half-hour series is produced by Levi’s production arm, The Nerd Machine, along with Kinetic Content (Married at First Sight, Little Women, The Taste) and Condé Nast Entertainment.
In each episode of Geeks Who Drink, two teams of self-proclaimed “trivia geeks” go head-to-head and shot-for-shot as they battle it out in rapid-fire quizzes that cover topics ranging from pop culture to science fiction. Each team consists of three players – a celebrity team captain and two trivia pros. After three rounds of raucous game-play, the team with the largest bar tab wins the game, along with bragging rights.
The rundown of geek-tastic celebrity team captains includes (Note: Air order TBD):
- John DiMaggio (the voice of Bender on Futurama) vs. David Giuntoli (Grimm)
- Alan Tudyk (Firefly, Serenity) vs. Justine Ezarik aka iJustine
- Matthew MacCaull (Tomorrowland, iZombie) vs. Andrew Daly (Review on Comedy Central, MAD TV)
- Felicia Day (The Guild,Eureka, Supernatural, Geek & Sundry) vs. Dexter Darden (Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials)
- Dominic Monaghan (Lost, Lord of the Rings) vs. Rob Kazinsky (Hot Pursuit, upcoming Warcraft motion picture)
- Tricia Helfer (Battlestar Galactica, Ascension) vs. Kevin Weisman (Alias, Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
- Zachary Knighton (Happy Endings) vs. Harold Perrineau (Lost, Constantine)
- Robert Buckley (iZombie, One Tree Hill) vs. Retta (Parks and Recreation)
- Grey Damon (Aquarius) vs. Josh Brener (Silicon Valley)
- Brett Dalton (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) vs. Mark Pellegrino (The Returned, Being Human, Supernatural)
- Jonathan Sadowski (Chernobyl Diaries, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) vs. Lenny Jacobson (Big Time in Hollywood, FL)
- Scott Porter (Hart of Dixie, Caprica) vs. Eric Christian Olsen (NCIS: Los Angeles)
In addition to Levi, executive producers for Geeks Who Drink are Chris Coelen, Karrie Wolfe, Corin Nelson, Dawn Ostroff, Joe LaBracio and David Coleman.
For More About Geeks Who Drink:
An avid gamer, Levi co-founded The Nerd Machine with David Coleman as a company designed to create unique new content, spread nerd culture and bring passionate geeks together from all around the world. Levi also serves as an ambassador for Operation Smile. Nerd Machine’s annual NERDHQ, held in San Diego during the Comic Con weekend, has raised over 700,000 dollars for the charity to date. Levi currently resides in Los Angeles.
Source: ©2015 Syfy, a division of NBC Universal. All Rights Reserved.
Latest posts by YEC-Admin (Posts)
- News: Tracy Morgan Returns to Television in TBS’ The Last O.G. Premiering April 3 - February 17, 2018
- News: Science Channel’s Deadly Intelligence Investigates Untimely and Unusual Deaths of Brilliant Scientists - February 16, 2018
- Video: From All Corners Documentary World Premiere at 2018 SXSW Film Festival - February 10, 2018
- Video/News: Oxygen’s Docu-Series Aaron Hernandez Uncovered Premieres March 17. - February 9, 2018